Friday, March 4, 2011

Learning Communities

One of Hillel’s most famous sayings is, "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am [only] for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?"(Perkei Avot 1:14). His three questions have great relevance for the new Messianic Jewish learning.

     “If I am not for myself, who will be for me?” Learning by oneself is usually more laborious than learning with others, but without this personal commitment to one’s own spiritual growth, there is no foundation for learning. You don’t have to be a genius or a prodigious self-learner to get started, just willing to take one step at a time. In this matter of learning, no one can be “for you” if you are not already for yourself.

     “And when I am [only] for myself, what am I?” If my commitment is only to my own growth, what exactly am I? For one thing, I’m obviously not a contributing member of a community of any kind. Whatever I have learned and experienced dies with me. Shaliach (apostle) Shaul wrote, “The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.” Shaul envisioned four generations of receiving and giving—himself, Timothy, Timothy’s students, and the students of Timothy’s students. The key to the passing on a heritage is not only to give it to others, but to pass it along to those who will pass it on to others.

     Let me rework the question: “If only I am for myself, what will become of me?” We all need teachers, mentors in the disciplines of learning. Whether locally or via technology, such mentors are becoming available now.

     “And if not now, when?” While this question is apt any time and any place, it is crucial right now. As I see things, the Messianic Jewish movement is at a critical juncture. We are beginning to see the establishing of Messianic Jewish learning communities. One of these is MJTI’s online School of Jewish Studies, founded in 2006; it is the first Messianic Jewish graduate school that isn’t affiliated with a Christian seminary.* It is by and for our movement. Last year, the Riverton Mussar, an outgrowth of Beit HaShofar Synagogue, began to offer a program in the tradition of mussar, which combines learning and accountability to promote ethical change. Another promising development is the upcoming schedule of classes and other educational offerings at Hope of David Learning Center in Atlanta.

       These learning communities do not only merely to transfer knowledge but to effect change. For them, study is more than the acquisition and mastery of facts and their interconnections. Since Yeshua (Jesus) directs us to love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, our learning involve more than acquisition and mastery. It involves all four faculties—heart, mind, soul, and strength—and becomes for us a consuming act of love and worship.

     “And if not now, when?” The time, it seems, is now.

*Full disclosure: I have been involved in MJTI from the beginning of the online program. I am also involved in the planning of a new school that will offer interactive seminars around the country and one-on-one rabbinical mentoring to students around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment