Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Four Generations

My first mentor used to say, "If what we learn isn't passed along to others, we're like the Dead Sea—rich in minerals, but can't support life." (This was long before I read Avot 1.1.) So I suppose it was no accident that when I first read 2 Timothy, these words jumped off the page:
You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Messiah Yeshua. And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. (2 Tim. 2:1-2).
Shaul envisions four generations passing on the apostolic mesoret (tradition): (1) Shaul, (2) Timothy, (3) those whom Timothy will teach, and (4) those who would be taught by Timothy's students.
Let me tell you, when you teach (formally or informally) with the idea that those you teach need to pass it along, your teaching will acquire a dynamic that can come from no other source. It acquires a unique intensity and momentum that emanates from Messiah Yeshua.

Here's the key: teaching has to be permeated with a forward-moving dynamic that impels students to pass it on to others who, in their turn, will pass it on to still more. 

This doesn’t imply only rote transmission, though that has its place as well. What you give to others should be integrated with their own learning from all sources and with what they develop themselves.

Shaul has a large vision. He is thinking of four generations. He urges Timothy to envision (at least) three. He’s not suggesting that Timothy’s students only envision two, then one, then none! At each step, there must be a vision for at least three generations: never teach with the idea that it ends with your students.

Shaul is writing about the formation of tradition. It takes generations to establish a tradition, and each generation has to own the responsibility to pass it on.

These instructions have guided me during several decades of teaching and mentoring followers of Yeshua. I won’t go into details here, but thanks to my first mentor and the grace of the Messiah, I’ve seen this dynamic work for several decades now.

8 comments:

  1. This is a great motivator for learning. We have to think beyond "this year's budget" and "cheap growth." We also need to get beyond mere marketing and get into discipleship. That means . . . like, well . . . real learning. Your blog is a good motivator for what I hope will be a new movement in MJ and Judeo-Christian circles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    -David Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--this is some great insight. Simple, obvious, yet something I've somehow been missing in my own teaching of late. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks Carl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year I started spending an hour each Shabbat afternoon with the youth of Beth Simcha in what we call Torah Chat. I give them questions, and the answers to the question are in my message that morning out of the Torah portion, and the main thing we talk about is how do we apply this to our lives today. We really need the youth and the young adults to catch hold of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's wonderful material! I never thought there is this interesting parallel with Shaul's words. Toda raba!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carl,


    I wholeheartedly agree in your assessment! In pirkei avot 2:11 it gives the praises of Rabbi Yochanon ben Zakkai's talmdim... at the end for R' Elazaar ben Arach he states that he is "a stream flowing stronger and stronger." Some interpret that ben Arach could take what he was given and make new applications and and ideas from the things he learned. (R. Yonah) It is difficult to do, but with Hashem's help, it can be done! Good insight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. (For those who don't know, "Jewish Carpenter" is actually a carpenter.)

    Thanks for the comment. I am interested in your thoughts on Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete